Ireland's oldest ever man?

An area in which members of the public can discuss validated supercentenarians and extreme longevity claimants with the members of the ESO.
Finbarr Connolly

Ireland's oldest ever man?

Post by Finbarr Connolly » Thu Nov 12, 2020 3:00 pm

Today the unidentified male (*2 July 1911) would be 109 years 133 days old and therefore surpass, at 39946 days, James Hanlon (1891-2001).

However... my most recent communication with the officials lead me to believe this case is not watertight. A commemorative medal to mark his 109th was sent out in July, but there remains a possibility that if this man was not otherwise recorded, in terms of receiving state benefits for example, then his death may have slipped through the net. There appears to be a voluntary element involved in terms of keeping the state officials updated in respect of the award of this particular commemorative token, which for our purposes cannot constitute full proof.

Therefore, I would say that this case is in a state of 'suspension' until further clarity is received.

Finbarr Connolly

Re: Ireland's oldest ever man?

Post by Finbarr Connolly » Fri Nov 27, 2020 4:25 pm

It is now established beyond reasonable doubt that the man was alive on his 109th birthday - 2nd July 2020. Current status is unconfirmed and may well not be until July 2021.

Ireland's oldest woman died, probably yesterday the 26th -

https://www.donegalwoman.ie/2020/11/27/ ... -aged-107/

and the new titleholder is believed to be Unidentified, *May 1913.

Marco Wikkerink

Re: Ireland's oldest ever man?

Post by Marco Wikkerink » Sat Nov 28, 2020 10:49 am

Thanks for the update(s), Finbarr.

Here's hoping we'll find out more about the anonymous man in the future.