The origin of this forum and website

An area in which members of the public can discuss validated supercentenarians and extreme longevity claimants with the members of the ESO.
Gedackt

The origin of this forum and website

Post by Gedackt » Fri May 28, 2021 11:23 am

Excuse me, who did establish that forum and website? Is that a former user of The 110 club? I'm glad that European Supercentenarian Organization constantly verifies many supercentenarians and respects foreign languages ( I mean non-english letters are not skipped) which GRG doesn't do :) They are so lazy! :x

Chris Law

Re: The origin of this forum and website

Post by Chris Law » Fri Jun 25, 2021 10:21 pm

Apologies for the delay in responding. This forum and the ESO website were both created by Andrew Holmes with the assistance of Marco Wikkerink and myself. Marco posts at the 110 club under the username of Fiskje88 and I occasionally post under the username of a massive zebra. Andrew is a former member of the 110 club but he is no longer active on that website.

Thanks for the compliments regarding our website. We’re very proud that over the last 18 months we have been able to verify over 600 supercentenarians. This process takes time in gathering documentation, putting the information together, and then reviewing the documentation.

We set up the ESO to create a group that is interested in furthering demographic knowledge about supercentenarians and aiding ageing research. There is not much reliable current information to understand current supercentenarian demographics. For example, while the GRG records just 3 living supercentenarians in Europe, we currently have 52 now verified. While the GRG doesn’t recognise any supercentenarians born in 1908 or later, we have already verified 123. We can’t learn about current and future demographics if we don’t have the data to study it.

Many supercentenarians and their families were upset that despite sending documents to the GRG, they were not validated. It’s disheartening that many supercentenarians provide documentation themselves but are told that they won’t be validated as a living supercentenarian unless they survive to 113-114. The overwhelming majority die by then. We believe that things can and should be done differently and that supercentenarians and their families should be respected, which is why we verify supercentenarians from the age of 110 (as per the definition of a supercentenarian).

It’s also not fair on correspondents and researchers on the 110 Club who spend time and money to help with the research to be told that their work won’t be looked at for several years. We believe there’s no reason or need for a “pending” list. If cases have sufficient documentation, then they should be reviewed and processed. The use of diacritics and non English characters on our website is just one further example of our respect for the local culture of the supercentenarians we have validated.

Many thanks for your interest in the ESO!